Whose Job Is It?
If I am the victim of a rapist, assaulter, racist or homophobic, I suffer not only the pain and suffering inflicted upon me, but I also have to fight to get justice and change the behaviour of the perpetrators.
Perpetrators have many tactics. They present themselves as victims. They often portray themselves as honest, accomplished, christian people. They rely on societal norms to support their behaviour. And worse, they take no responsibility for their actions, calling their victims liars.
I don't believe that we should always, unequivocally, believe those who say they are victims. My argument is that people can and will lie for nefarious reasons. But, I also believe that most victims have suffered at the hands of others.
So whose job is it to change this imbalance of justice? The media takes some responsibility to present the victim's side. Groups form to tackle the problem with their own agendas. Researchers publish papers. Authors write books. And one President tweets. I would argue that long term benefits have not materialized from these attempts. So what will it take?
That's the dilemma. The more victims protest, the louder and stronger the opposition. The good news, I hope, is that these oppositional folks are not the majority. If true, then is it up to the majority to speak up, to join those willing to fight for the change they want. That means putting the job on us, the average person, the majority who want change. Whose job is it? The answer is mine and yours. Choose your weapon. Mine is writing. What's yours?
No comments:
Post a Comment