Saturday, 28 April 2012

Guard Your Time

Looking through old photo albums, I was thinking how nice it would be to travel back in time for a spell and relive my life with more enthusiasm and wherewithal.

I have come a long way, from ring box phones and one-room schools to the magic of the Internet. With change, I have evolved as well. My personal evolution came with much stress. I belonged to many organizations. Had two marriages. And as a teacher, there were always endless hours of preparing lessons, tests, exams and then marking all that paperwork.

Time had little mercy, moving at lightning speed, taking me along on a whirlwind while I barely focused on any one thing and before I knew it, my children had slipped through my hands and things I had intended to do never materialized. I blame part of it on the fact that we are caught up in a capitalist system that forces us to spend our days creating wealth for others. A system that steals a huge amount of our time from enjoying many of the beautiful things in life. And I blame myself for casually passing through life without truly appreciating it.

I wish I had guarded my time and used more of it for myself because as the saying goes, "Time waits for no one." Luckily, I get that now and I must be off because there is not a moment to spare.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Gloria,
    I do agree we can sometime pass through our lifetime, getting through life instead of absorbing life. "spending our days creating wealth for others".. how true !!! Congratulations on your second novel If This is Freedom. I enjoyed reading it, love Sarah. Looking forward to the third. God bless.

    ReplyDelete